This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
Best Wi-Fi Mesh Routers of 2020
By Kaustubh 9 September 2020
Are you looking for uninterrupted wifi for your smart home and the latest gadgets?
Are you looking for a scalable Wifi router of your new business start-up?
Are you tired of your old router and extender?
Maybe this article will help you in finding the best mesh Wifi router.
What is the difference between a modem and a router?
Modem and Router serve different purposes, they are not the same.
A modem is a device that is used to provide the internet to your home through telephone lines or cables. It is the short form of modulation and demodulation, modulation whereby the analog signals from the telephone cable are converted to digital signals(0&1) to be understood by the computer, and demodulation is the process of converting the digital signals back to analog signals.
A router is a device that takes care of the wired and wireless devices in your home. It makes sure that all the devices are following the standard wireless networking standards.
These two are two separate devices. Generally, the ISP(Internet Service Providers) combines a router and a modem into a single device and gives us the connection.
However, it is always recommended to use a separate modem and router because we can always upgrade our router with our increasing needs and demands which is a better option.
What is a Mesh Wi-Fi system?
A Mesh Wi-Fi system has one router and a set of nodes connected, each node once connected works like a router itself establishing a strong and reliable Wi-Fi signal.
Keep the node in between your router and the farthest corner of your house which is out of the Wi-Fi reach.
Let us know more about network topologies. We have various network topologies like bus, ring, star, and mesh topologies
In mesh topology each node is a connected node, we have two types of mesh topologies
1.Full Mesh Topology
2.Partial Mesh Topology
Let us know the advantages of the Mesh Wi-Fi system
Wi-Fi systems can be easily extended by adding nodes to your network. No need to change the settings just add one more node to increase the range and strength of your signal.
If one node is not functioning properly, the other nodes in the Mesh Wi-Fi system share the load and the whole system works normally. The coverage of the network will not be affected at all.
3.Dynamic rerouting :
This feature helps in finding the best route possible for the outgoing traffic of data. From the router the signal takes several hops to reach the device, the best possible route is selected with minimum hops and better reach.
Why go for a Mesh router instead of an Extender?
An extender helps in increasing the range of the router. Extender creates a separate Wi-Fi account which operates in parallel to the main account. The problem with extender is the need of switching into different Wi-Fi accounts.
- Mesh Router, on the other hand, provides a seamless roaming. where only one SSID is used and no need of switching into accounts.
- The network created by the extender consumes bandwidth and also creates interference when operating together with the main network.
- Mesh network has a separate dedicated frequency band for connecting nodes and other bands are free for data transfer between the connected devices.No interference is possible.
Let us know about the best available Mesh Routers available in 2020
Before knowing the varieties clarify your requirements,
- What is lacking in your previous router or what are your expectations from the new router?
- How much are you going to spend?
- What is the main reason behind your purchase?
Our requirements may be different but the underlying cause is the same, better connectivity.
Now that we have chosen to replace our router let us look for the best routers available.
The node is known by different names with different providers
- Satellite by Netgear
- Point by google
- Bands by Asus
- Beacons by Amazon Eero
- Deco units by TP-Link
Best Mesh Wi-Fi routers for gaming
If your family likes to spend time playing games and if you have more than one game player who is looking for uninterrupted signal strength and high-speed internet, then it’s time to know about the best possible options.
Routers with Tri-Band frequencies help in fast Gaming requirements, where one band of frequency can be dedicated to gaming devices making them fully powerful and unstoppable.
Asus ZenWiFi Mesh WiFi system has two Wi-Fi 6 routers providing high-speed internet and reliable and secure Wi-Fi connection. The design of Asus ZenWiFi AX is an added advantage. The performance can be easily extended by adding hubs to the system.
Network standard :802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax
Frequency band :2.4GHz,5GHz,5GHz
Processor:1.5Ghz Quad-core processor
802.11a : 6,9,12,18,24,36,48,54 Mbps
802.11b : 1, 2, 5.5, 11 Mbps
802.11g : 6,9,12,18,24,36,48,54 Mbps
802.11n : up to 300 Mbps
802.11ac (5GHZ-1)：up to 867 Mbps
802.11ac (5GHZ-2)：up to 3466 Mbps
802.11ax (2.4GHz) : up to 574 Mbps
802.11ax (5GHZ-1)：up to 1201 Mbps
802.11ax (5GHZ-2)：up to 4804 Mbps
2.4 GHz 2 x 2
5 GHz-1 2 x 2
5 GHz-2 4 x 4
256 MB Flash
512 MB RAM
OFDMA (Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiple Access)
Beamforming: standard-based and universal
1024-QAM high data rate
20/40/80/160 MHz bandwidth
2.4GHz, 5 GHz-1, 5 GHz-2
WPA3-PSK, WPA2-PSK, WPA-PSK, WPA-Enterprise , WPA2-Enterprise , WPS support
Firewall & Access Control
Firewall: SPI intrusion detection, DoS protection
Access control：Parental control, Network service filter, URL filter, Port filter
WAN Connection Type
Internet connection type: Automatic IP, Static IP, PPPoE(MPPE supported), PPTP, L2TP
RJ45 for 2.5G BaseT for WAN x 1, RJ45 for Gigabits BaseT for LAN x 3
USB 3.1 Gen 1 x 1
AC Input: 110V~240V(50~60Hz)
DC Output: 19 V with max. 1.75 A current
- Very strong Wi-Fi connection with unique antenna placement design and TriBand Mesh Wi-Fi
- Coverage up to 5500sq ft with 6+rooms
- Speed up to 6.6GBps
- Next Generation WiFi 6technology with OFMA and MU MIMO
- Advanced Parental controls with internet activity dashboard and other features by AiProtection Pro
- Easy setup and maintenance with the help of ASUS Router App
- Security provided by Trend Micro is free for a lifetime
- 8k Streaming and 2.2 times faster than AC3000 Tri-Band wifi5 systems.
- Compatible with AiMesh supported routers.
- 3 SSID s allow the, naming each Wi-Fi connection of each band with a separate name.
- Guest Wi-Fi.
- Comes in 2 different colors and Works with Alexa
- ZenWiFi AX White 2PK
Covers up-to 5500sqft
- ZenWiFi AX Charcoal 2PK
- ZenWiFi AX 1PK white
- ZenWiFi AX 1PK Charcoal
Orbi WiFi 6 System (RBK752) AX4200 helps you with strong Wi-Fi connection with 4k/8k streaming and high speed online gaming.
Technical Specifications :
- Network standard:802.11ax2.
- Frequency bands:2.4GHz,5GHz,5GH
- Data transfer speed 2.4GHz (600Mbps†) + 5GHz (1200Mbps†) for WiFi devices to connect to the Internet 5GHz (2400Mbps†) dedicated WiFi link for faster data connection between Orbi Router and Orbi Satellite
- Six (6) high-performance internal antennas with high-powered ampliﬁers
- Beamforming for 2.4GHz & 5GHz band
- MU-MIMO capable of simultaneous data streaming to multiple device
- Powerful Quad-Core 1.4 GHz processor
- Memory:Router: 512MB NAND Flash and 1GB RAM
- WiFi Security WPA2, Guest WiFi Secure Acces
- Wired Gigabit Ethernet Ports (Router + Satellites) 6(4+2)
- Covers up to 5000sqft and 40 plus devices.
- Powerful AX Mesh Wi-Fi system makes smooth 8k streaming and fast online gaming.
- More connectivity is provided with one LAN and Two LAN ports in the router and two WAN ports in the satellite.
- Latest Wi-Fi 6technology and 4times faster than 802.11ac systems.
- Seamless and Consistent Mesh WiFi Coverage .
- A dedicated quad-stream WiFi 6 backhaul allows consistent gigabit throughput throughout your home.
- This is the best Wi-Fi for Gigabit internet speeds with a 1Gbps Ethernet port.
- Easy to set up and manage with the Orbi app.
- Works with Alexa and Google assistant.
- Netgear Armor protection from internet threats.
- 2 pack Orbi WiFi 6 System (RBK752) AX4200
- 3packOrbi WiFi 6 System (RBK753) AX4200
One Wi-Fi router and 2 satellites
Best Mesh Wi-Fi routers for home
All the Mesh routers are easily extendable. Start with one of these routers and if you move into a large house with a long-range in the future, don’t worry just add one more node, and you are done.
Google provides Mesh connectivity with Nest Wifi Router and each node in the mesh network is known as a WiFi point. Each WiFi point has a speaker with a Google assistant. So each WiFi point in addition to providing 1600 sq ft coverage can play music and give voice commands
- Network standard 802.11a/bg/n/ac
- Data transfer speed AC2200
- Dual-frequency band 2.4GHz/5GHz
- Quad-core 64-bit ARM Processor 1.4 GHz
- Ports and connector Wifi router
- Dual Gigabit Ethernet ports for wifi router
6.Speaker and microphones
- Wifi point has a 360-degree sound with a 40 mm driver.
- Bluetooth 4.2.
- 3 far-field microphones for its built-in Google Assistant.
- Scalable and flexible, more wifi points can be added.
- Network coverage of the Wifi Router is up to 2200sqft and the WiFi point is up to 1600 sqft.
- 100 plus device connectivity.
- Proactive band steering, traffic is diverted to the best frequency bands.
- Self-healing network deals with jitter and latency.
- Beamforming technology is used.
- Smart home connectivity through Bluetooth and IEEE 802.15.4.
- WPA3 encryption standard is used for securing the network and data in both router and the point.
- Automatic security updates help in protecting the network with the latest threats.
- Nest wifi router and points are compatible with the previous generation Google Wifi devices.
- Nest Wifi router
Up to 2200 sq ft
- Nest Wifi router and point
Up to 3800 sq ft
- Nest wifi router and 2 points
Up to 5400 sq.ft
- Nest wifi point
Eero Pro WiFi systems are easily customizable and flexible. Connect the eero pros wirelessly or plug them directly to your gaming consoles or smart TVs.A user-friendly eero app helps in an easy set up with automatic updates.
- Tri-band Frequency,2.4GHz,5GHz and 5.8GHz.
- Network standard 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac.
- USB C connector for data and power.
- Dual auto-sensing Gigabit ports for WAN/LAN connectivity for each eero pro.
- Wireless connectivity
- 2×2 MU-MIMO
- 2×2 MU-MIMO
6.700 MHz quad-core processor.
- 512MB RAM
- 4GB flash storage.
- WPA2 encryption.
100-240V AC, 50-60 Hz
- Plug one eero pro directly to your modem, the remaining components work wireless.
- 2nd generation 3 eero pros working like router, extender, and booster.
- WiFi connectivity up to 3300sq.ft.
- Smart home connectivity through Thread 1.1 Border Router, Bluetooth 4.2.
- 10 Lumen LED night light, with automated dimming.
- User-friendly Eero App support with eero TrueMesh software.
- The best part is the automatic updates feature and bug fixes.
- Each component of the eero system follows security protocols to keep data safe and secure.
- Multiple access points for wide coverage.
- Dynamic rerouting to resolve the problem of congestion.
- Seamless Wifi, single SSID no change of network names.
- Parental controls.
- Guest wifi.
- Compatible with 1st generation eero products.
- Amazon eero pro mesh wifi router
Covers up to 1750 feet
- 1 eero pro+1 eero beacon
Covers up to 3750 sqft
- 3 eero pros
Covers up to 6000 sq ft
Asus Lyra provides a fast reliable secure Wi-Fi connection with Seamfree roaming and central control with the powerful AiMesh technology.Rich and powerful sound with built-in Alexa and stereo speakers.
- Network standard:802.11a,b,g,n,ac
- Data transfer speed AC2200(400+867+867)
- Tri-band frequency
- 6 Internal antennas for Wi-Fi and one Bluetooth antenna.
- MIMO technology
RJ45 for 10/100/1000/Gigabits BaseT for WANx1
RJ45 for 10/100/1000Gigabits BaseT for LANx1
- Network security powered by Trend Micro and the device security is provided with AiProtection.
- Advanced Parental controls with AiMesh Support, AiProtection.
- Can be Extended with AiMesh routers compatible with Lyra.
- Enjoy voice assistance and music in stereo sound with built-in Alexa and Stereo speakers.
- MU-MIMO enables simultaneous transfers between 2 connected devices.
- Advanced Parental controls with internet Activity Dashboard.
- Works as a Traffic Analyzer and provides Guest network facility also.
- SmartQos is provided with WMM
- Safe and Secure usage with the Asus Lyra app.
- Power Supply
Best Wi-Fi routers for Office
For the office, it is always recommended to go for a trip band router, where one band is directly used for connecting the nodes and the remaining two bands are used between the devices to connect for a faster and reliable exchange of data.
Netgear Armour antivirus protection helps in securing the network and data from virus attacks and Orbi App helps in controlling the system from anywhere.LED lights to show the strength of the connection.
- Tri-Band Frequency.
- Speed AC3000
5GHz -867 MBps
For WiFi devices to connect to the internet
5GHz -1733 MBps
For faster data connection between ORBI router and Orbi Satellite.
3.6 high powered antennas with high powered amplifiers.
5.MU-MIMO, simultaneous multiple streams.
6.WPA2 encrypted security, Guest WiFi security access.
7.Memory:512 MB RAM and 512 MB Flash for router.
8.Ports: 1LAN and 3WAN Gigabit ethernet ports.
9.Processor: Powerful Quad-Core 710Mhz processor
- WiFi coverage up to 5000 sqft.
- Connects up to 25 plus devices.
- Seamfree roaming.
- Flexible extension with the addition of each satellite up to 2500 sq feet.
- In tri-band one band is dedicated to the router and satellite, making the other two bands free, helping in attaining the maximum speed.
- Wired Ethernet port and fast wireless speed.
- Ultra-fast WiFi with speed up to 3GBps helping in high-quality HD streaming videos and gaming.
- Circle smart parental controls help in limiting the screen time and filtering the inappropriate content. Pause control helps in stopping WiFi during family time.
- NetGear Armor provides advanced cyber threat protection to all the connected devices.
- Set up is made easy with the Orbi app.Works with all internet providers
Price:2 pack Orbi Mesh WiFi System RBK50(AC3000)
Up to 5000sqft
- 3 pack Orbi Mesh WiFi system
with NetGear Orbi voice smart speakerRBK53V
Deco M5 uses TP-Link Mesh technology to provide fast and seamless roaming throughout the home Wi-Fi system. Adding more Deco models expands the coverage and range of Wi-Fi signals.
1.wireless standard:802.11ac/n/a 5GHz, 802.11 b/g/n 2.4GHz.
2.Frequency:2.4GHz and 5GHz.
3.Data transfer speed: AC1300
400Mbps on 2.4GHz
867 Mbps on 5GHz.
5.Beamforming technology .
6.Access point mode
9.TP-Link Mesh Technology .
10.Auto Path Selection .
11.Supports IPV4and IPV6.
12.Guest network 2.4GHzx1 5GHzx1
13.AC adapter input:100-240V
13.2 LAN/WAN Gigabit Ethernet ports
power supply 12V/1.2 A 15.4 internal antennas per DecoUnit.
- Covers up to 5500 sq ft and Connects up to 100 devices.
- Self Healing, when one Second unit comes down the traffic is shared by other decos.
- Seamless Roaming, no need to switch between accounts.
- Easy to set up With the Tp-Link Deco app and Built-in antivirus.
- Deco M5 serves as a router or access point.
- Easy Pairing with Alexa.
- Parental controls with filters and time limits. Allows Suspension of connectivity for better family time.
- WMM Quality of service, voice Audio, and video are given high priority in case of traffic congestion.
- Adaptive path selection means the best route is selected for the traffic.
- Can have up to 10 deco units. Deco m5 is compatible with other deco models.
- Firmware auto-updates and monthly usage reports.
- Deco M5 3-pack
Up to 5500 sqft
- Deco M5 2-pack
Up to 3800 sqft
- Deco M5 1pack