This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
Best Sounding over-ear Headphones
By Kaustubh on 18 November 2020
Welcome to wireless pairing, this post is especially for those who love to wear over-ear headphones.
Over-ear headphones have many advantages over in-ear headphones, the most important one is the fitting and the comfort they provide during long hours of wearing.
In this post, we are going to discuss the best sounding over-ear headphones of 2020.
Start by knowing the factors that have to be considered and make a good purchase decision.
The Checklist for selecting the best over-ear headphones
Factors to be considered while buying the wireless over-ear headphones:
The following factors are to be considered while selecting your wireless experience
- The first and foremost is the wireless experience, the comfort the headphones are providing over years.
- Most music lovers wear headphones for a long time, and if the comfort the headphones are providing is not good enough it is definitely a wrong choice.
- Always pay attention to the Design, the ear pad’s thickness, and softness.
- How comfortable they are staying on-ear and how ease you are feeling. Most of the companies are providing plush cushion ear pads for a long time wear.
- The interface the headphones are providing. All the headphones are giving touch controls on the back side of the earcups. Know about the controls and check.
- The most important is the noise cancellation feature, how effectively the headphones are providing the noise cancellation and are preventing the outside noises from disturbing your music experience.
Price : 199$
BENCHMARK FOR STUDIO SOUND
These open-back studio headphones are a reliable tool for any sound enthusiast. The wide stereo image and three-dimensional sound reproduction make the beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO headphones a loyal companion for producers. Outstanding tonal depth ensures that even small changes in the positioning of the acoustic source can be perceived while mixing.
The Beyerdynamic dt 990 pro offers high-quality transparent sound with the open back model offering impressive spaciousness, which is trusted by all the professional users in the world.
Open over-ear headphones for Professional mixing, mastering, editing, and listening at home or in the studio
Perfect for studio applications thanks to their transparent, spacious, strong bass and treble sound
- Transmission Type: Wired.
- Impedance: 80 Ohm
- Headphone Weight (without cable): 250 g
- Headphone Frequency Response: 5 – 35,000 Hz
- Nominal Sound Pressure Level: 96 dB
- Sound coupling to the ear: Circumaural (Around the ear)
- Cable & Plug: Coiled Connecting Cable with mini-jack plug (3.5mm) and 1/4″ adapter (6.35mm)
What I didn’t like about Beyer Dynamic Dt 990 pro over-ear headphones?
- The first thing I didn’t like about the Beyer dynamic is they are wired. The cable is not detachable and if the cable gets damaged the whole set of headphones is a waste. The cable is a coiled cable and can be stretched up to 3 meters allows you to move freely.
- The earbuds are so soft and very lightweight and comfortable to wear. But only a little bit of rotation is possible.
Best features of Beyer Dynamic Dt 990 pro
- These headphones come in two versions 80 ohms and 250 ohms.
- The bass is not good, however, it gives a very very detailed sound in a three-dimensional experience. This gives a fantastic high-frequency natural response which is why it is recommended by all the musical recordings in the studio.
The headband is good and is made of leather and the padding is good for long time wear.
The best part is the leather headband can be replaced after wearing for 6 months or so, if the headband gets spoiled simply remove the headband with the help of buttons and replace it.
- Ear cups are padded and provide comfort for long time wear.
- Two sets of interchangeable velour earpads.
- Open back design offers a natural and extremely spatial sound.
- High-Quality well-balanced sound all over the head giving a 3D experience.
- Low price.
- A great listening experience.
- The microphone is good and these are best for editing videos and auditions.
- Low build quality, dt 990 pro are made of plastic.
- Headphones are not foldable.
- Earcups are not rotating.
- Not wireless.
Final Verdict: The best gaming over-ear headphones
ONLY MUSIC. NOTHING ELSE.
Industry-leading noise canceling headphones with mic and Alexa voice control.
What is the best feature of the Sony WH-1000XM3 headphones?
The noise-canceling technology in the WF-1000XM3 is the most advanced ever with the HD Noise-Canceling Processor QN1e.
Personalized noise cancellation by sensing the activities done by the user and balancing the noise levels.
2.Sound quality is good with crisp clear and very detailed features.
3.Comfortable design, padded earcups, flexible headband, and easy to carry around.
4.These are surface headphones with touch controls through swiping for playing and pausing.
5.Connectivity with Bluetooth and NFC.
6.Where ever you are going, and how noisy your surroundings are, these headphones give you the best experience.
1.The carrying case is too good and secures the headphones.
2.Personalized active noise cancellation.
3.Earcups are comfortable to wear for a long time and are easily foldable to carry during traveling.
4.Long battery life up to 30 hours.
5.Voice assistance with Alexa.
6.Quick attention mode for easy conversation while listening to music.
1.Doesnot support Bluetooth multipoint. Can be connected to only one device at a time.
2.No physical buttons.
Final Verdict: Active noise cancellation and stunning sound in a compact, stylish, truly wireless design.
QC35 headphones II
Renowned noise cancelling headphones
Clear away the distractions of the world, and focus on what matters most. Go deeper into your music, work, and passions — with no noise in the way. Plus with Amazon Alexa, you can enjoy entertainment, get information, and manage your day. Just ask.
- The lightest headphones weighing almost similar to Sennheiser PXC550 II, around 235 gm.
- Comfortable to wear for lengthy durations with a leather headband and soft earbuds.
- The best feature is the inner lining of the earcups. That is so spacious, and no sign of heat or sweat on the ears even wearing for a long time.
- The earpads are removable and replaceable.
How is the overall design and usage of Bose QC 35II?
- Start your headphones with the power button on the top just slide it to start
- The right ear cup has three buttons the top and bottom buttons are for the volume setting to increase and decrease the volume.
- The middle one is the multi-function button for play skip and pause.
- At the bottom, we have a USB 2.0 connection socket for connecting the headphones with the phone or laptop.
The left ear cup has the toggle button for google assistant. The same can be used for the ANC.
Coming to battery life, the battery performance as told by Bose is,20 hours, which is not so good.
Because competitors like Sennheiser are offering 30 hours of playback time.
However, the best part is the fast charging provided. With a quick 15 min charge, it gives 2.5 hours playback time which is quite impressive.
Three levels of world-class noise cancellation for a better listening experience in any environment.
1.All day wearable without any discomfort.
2.The inner lining of the earcups.
3.Noise-rejecting dual-microphone system for clear sound and voice pick-up.
4.Active noise cancellation.
5.Voice assistance with Alexa
Final verdict: One of the top active noise cancellation headphones
PXC 550-II Your Best Travel Companion
Leave Background Noise Behind
Adaptive Noise Cancellation automatically adjusts to your surroundings to suppress unwanted background noise, for your ever-changing environments.
The primary purpose of the design is, they are travel headphones.
If you are a frequent traveler and you like to kill the boredom of long flight journeys these headphones are for you.
- They are comfortable for long day wear and the active noise cancellation gives you the best listening experience in crowded environments during the travel period.
- Next time when you are out to travel don’t forget to carry these.
- The carrying case is too good to secure your headphones.
The best about Sennheiser PXC 550 II over-ear headphones
Turning the earcups inwards turns them on and turning the earcups outwards turns them off.
The auto pause feature is one of the advantages of the over ear headphones, that I like the most. you are hearing your favorite song, suddenly you removed your headphones to listen to announcements or to talk with your friend when you place the headphones back in the place your favorite song resumes from where it is paused.
How is the overall design and interface?
The right earbud has the controls, Swipe up and down for increasing and decreasing the volume.
Swipe left and right for forwarding and rewinding.
Coming to active noise cancellation, it has a manual ANC button that has 3 modes.
You can adjust your ANC manually, from the headphone themselves, unlike the other headphones where they can be controlled through the app.
The modes are like these, One is the adaptive mode and the other Anti-wind noise cancellation.
Double-tap on the headphones changes to the transparency mode allowing you to listen to your surroundings. Listen to the flight announcements just by double-tapping.
And the thing to be noted here is, some headphones in transparency mode allow the outside voices to come inside along with the music you are listening to, but here the transparency mode allows the outside voices inside stopping your music or pausing, not at the same time you can listen to both.
we have three types of connectivity available.
- One is with the jack and cable given with the headphones.
- Second is, with Bluetooth, you can connect two devices with Bluetooth at the same time. This feature is known as Bluetooth multipoint and which allows your headphones to switch between the devices at the same time.
Suppose you have paired your headphones with your tablet and phone. This doesn’t mean that you can hear from both devices at the same time.
But with the help of this feature, in the middle of watching a movie with headphones connected with a tablet, suppose you got a call your headphones will switch to mobile and you can take calls directly without worrying about connecting them again.
- And the third type of connectivity is with the micro USB slot.
Sound quality :
The microphone is good and call quality is good even with the airplane sounds and other noises.
Good sound quality with good bass.
1.The headphones are light, they weigh around 250 grams and super comfortable wearing them all day long.
2.Head band is good, can be adjusted and increased in length.
The band has a cushion making it comfortable for wearing longer times, the ear cups are soft and comfortable.
3.Battery life is 30 hours.
4.Supports Bluetooth multipoint feature allowing the connectivity to more than one device at a time.
5.Voice assistance with Alexa.
1.Transparency mode doesn’t allow outside voices along with the music.
2.The app is not of much use as everything is on the headphones.
3.The way of turning the headphones on, even accidental rotation turns them off.
Final verdict: The classy lightweight comfortable travel-friendly over-ear headphones
Planar drivers. Accurate sound. Low distortion. The Monolith M1070 uses a 106mm planar driver with a dual linear symmetry magnet array to deliver amazing sound quality. It has fantastic high end extension combined with tight, clean bass to make it an audio delight.
Open back design. An airy, spacious soundstage. Each earcup features a grille, which allows air to pass through to the planar driver. This puts you in the middle of the performance, with a larger soundstage, enhanced imaging, and a more engaging soundscape.
What is the best about Monolith M1060 over-ear headphones?
1.Definitely, the sound quality, clear and detailed levels. They have the amazing differentiation between the lows and highs with the perfect EQ where you can clearly distinguish each and every musical instrument.
Complaints on Monolith M1060
1.Each M1070 comes with a pair of memory foam lambskin earpads and a pair of memory foam velour earpads.The saddest part is,it is difficult to change or remove the ear pads.
2.The common complaint from most of the users is the headband. The headband is wide and is not liked by many.
1.Comfortable all-day wear.
2.Sound quality is excellent.
3.Open soundstage headphones with good bass.
1.Heavy to use.
Final Verdict: Quality sound but gigantically build wireless over-ear headphones.
Real-time audio calibration preserves clarity, range, and emotion to deliver a premium listening experience.
Pure adaptive Active noise cancellation actively eliminates the external noise while working on individual music play back.
What is so special about Beats Studio 3 Wireless over-ear headphones?
You can pair two compatible beat headphones with one iPhone or iPad and allow your friend to listen to the songs or podcasts you are listening to.
Make your workouts even better with your friend or watch a movie together with your family. Now enjoy sharing and listening to the audio together for a more wonderful experience.
Follow these simple steps to make a successful pairing with your beat headphones.
- Tap the AirPlay icon in Control Center or in the app you’re listening to,
- Tap Share Audio.
- Enter pairing mode with your second set of Beats headphones or AirPods and follow onscreen instructions.
Best features of Beats studio 3 wireless over-ear headphones.
1.The wide color range, they are available in more than 7 colors. The classy look is unbeatable.
2.The headband is stylish and it is very easily stretchable.
3.The earcups are not so spacious and they put little pressure on the ears. However, they are soft and comfortable for wearing during workouts.
The controls are on the left ear cup with the outer circle for turning the volume and the inner circle for voice assistant and pause/play or skip.
Take calls and make calls, select tracks, control volume, and voice-activate with the multifunctional “b” button controls right on the ear cup.
Battery life is up to 22 hours and 40 hours of playback when Noise Cancelling is turned off. However, the fast charging support is appreciable, a 10 min charge gives a 3-hour playback.
Active noise cancellation:
Beats offer Adaptive noise cancellation. It is good not the best.
2.Better battery life.
3.Design is good. Easily foldable.
4.Active noise cancellation.
1.These headphones work with iPhone only.